When it comes to summer food, it can be difficult to decide what you want to eat. On the one hand, it’s too hot outside to really barbecue or grill food and anything that’s served hot or warm can be a turnoff. What we really want when it’s sweltering outside is something refreshing and cold that will still be filling and delicious. The answer? A salad! But not just any salad, the ultimate salad packed with summer fruits and veggies that will leave you wanting more. On top of all that good stuff, this salad has a delicious and refreshing buttermilk dressing that is low-calorie! So, aside from all that, this salad is packed with great nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Blueberries alone are famous for their high amount of antioxidants and other nutritional benefits. Of course, avocados are full of good fatty acids like omega-3. Not to mention, Greek yogurt is high in protein and calcium. In short, this salad can be made as a side dish or as an entire meal – everyone will love it!
What You’ll Need
For The Dressing
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, well shaken
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 ears corn cooked, kernels cut off
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup cooked & shelled edamame
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
- For the dressing, grab a small bowl. Whisk together the yogurt, buttermilk, mustard, lemon juice, agave nectar, and salt. Gently stir in the dill.
- Place the romaine lettuce into a large serving bowl.
- On top of the lettuce, sprinkle on the corn, tomato, green onion, edamame, avocado, blueberries, and sunflower seeds.
- Serve with the dressing on the side or mixed in well.